Almost all of us have observed, or been the victim of, a consumer fraud scam. Consumer fraud can include practices such as false or misleading advertising and selling, so that the consumer ends up with something other than what they had expected. It also consists of concealing fees or hidden terms. Some scams are easy to identify, while others are much harder to spot.
Linda Webb, “The Fraud Dog,” provides five helpful tips that will aide you in identifying and avoiding these traps.
- Always take your time when making a financial decision. Don’t be afraid to say no.
- Never give your credit card number out over the phone unless you initiate the call.
- Beware of giveaways and free prizes. There may be a catch.
- Offers that sound too good to be true usually are.
- Report consumer fraud to Attorney General McDonnell and Local Police.
If you find yourself facing consumer fraud, Contego Insurance Group can help. Contego stands ready to: Shield – Protect – Defend. Contact us at 1.855.WE.SWARM (855.937.9276).